Monday, July 2, 2012

Made it

So I finally made it.  The twenty minute flight to Chicago was so smooth it almost seems surreal.  Then I had a four hour lay over at OHare. I sat at a bar and ate some breakfast.  I then got to talking to a nice couple from Scotland and an Orthopedic Surgeon from ....I forgot where.  We all had a Bloody Mary and "shot the bull" about politics, education, and our travels.

We boarded the plane and then were delayed.  There was a storm coming in over Chicago.  We hit the tarmac an hour late. I was blessed that the only empty seat on the plane was by me so I was able to spread out a bit.  By this point (after not sleeping at all the night before) I was so tired I made it my mission to sleep. I can never sleep on planes.

On the Boeing 747 monster, there is the center isle that seats four across.  I was on the side.  Just as I dozed into a priceless and much needed slumber, the captain turned on the fasten seat belt sign and made an announcement for flight attendants to return to their seats.  Now, if you have heard about a flight that I was on in 2001....you know that this type of an announcement sends a signal to my brain that makes me go into a slight panic................and sure enough, we were in for a little ride.  At first the turbulence was a  tolerable side to side motion...not to bad.  And then it became the go....drop, up side side drop up something bangs type of turbulence.  I looked around to notice that most were squeezing their arms of their seats (or person next to them.)  There was a page that was numbers..never a good sign. I later saw that it was because someone threw up.  Anyways, why am I bothering you with this story?  Well beside me in the row of four was a father, two small children and their mom. When the turbulence started, their conversation went something like this:

Son: "Daddy, what is that?"
Dad: "Its called turbulence...its when the air rushes towards the plane and the plane adapts to it."
Son: "Oh, so we are running out of air?"
Dad: "No no no.  We are okay.  The air acts like waves in the lake."
***Turbulence intensifies***
Son: "Dad...THIS IS AWESOME!"
Dad: "Well that's one way to look at it..".

The little boy then shouts, "WOOOHOOO so much fun!" and outs his arms in the air.

I died laughing.

Tokyo seems so clean.  There isn't trash on the streets, grafitti, I havent seen a homeless person pee on the street yet, much less a homeless person.

Saw McDonalds.

Saw something that would make my friend Rosey excited. ;)

So tired I am going to cry and throw up.

More to come when it can. Night all!

No comments:

It has always been my dream to travel to Egypt. I have had a fascination with Ancient Egypt since I was a little girl. This fascination is the reason I am now a teacher. Thanks to the Lilly Endowment Grant for Teacher Creativity, my dream is about to come true. Let the adventure begin!

And don't forget to sign my guest book while you're here!