Monday, March 8, 2010

So far.......

So far, I have been struggling with trying to figure out how I want to spend our time in Egypt. There are so many places that I want to make sure I go visit. Here is the list of places that I can't live without seeing:
Alexandria
Cairo
Giza
Memphis
Luxor
Mt. Sinai
The Red Sea (whether in Sharm El Sheikh or Hurghada)
There are some neat things in Aswan however, I could give that up if need be. 
  
Those of you out there that are planning to be travel agents, feel free to contact me with an itinerary and a price. I am exhausted from looking and doing the math. I want to experience true Egypt but I also want a taste of the luxurious "tourist" stuff. But keep in mind that an Egyptian 5 star is more like a 2 or 3 star in the states. I want to keep it local and not pay mega bucks to travel with a tour company. Since this is my dream place to visit, I want to make sure that I am not rushed and can soak it all in.   I have about 13 days to spend there.....Any thoughts?  :)

Last week, I learned how to properly pack toilet paper for say, the hike to the top of Mt. Sinai.

Something else that I learned today - In order to get onto and archeological dig site, you have to be granted permission from the government. So I have contacted the University of Cairo to see what we can make happen. 




8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ummmmmm..... wow??? Good luck with that... I shall attempt to help you plan if you really want help on that. I'm not a professional, but I'm great with math!!! Just make sure you have time to spend with the beauty and your boyfriend. You don't want to be rushing everywhere. That's what happened for my two weeks in Colorado four years ago (a different trip than the one this past summer of course). All we did was go into the mountains... every single day. They lost beauty pretty fast then. You don't want to get sick of your dream ; )

jemjem77 said...

i'm still trying to remind my momto talk to you about egypt but she is vvvveeerrrryyyyy forgetful
-ben

Ms. Hicks said...

Ben, Your mom emailed me today. SO NEAT and thank you!

Lizzy...know yourself out! See what you can come up with :)

Unknown said...

Ok, so here's kinda my mathematical thinking (I shall translate to English so you can understand ;)


You have 13 days, divided by 8 different towns/places you want to be (I included all of them), which gives you 1 3/4 day (30 hours) in each place if you want to have equal time. Here's they way I've analyzed the maps, you'd want to start in Alexandria then go down to Cairo. After Cairo you'd want to cross the Nile to get to Giza and Memphis (they're all pretty clustered). Aswan and Luxor are pretty far south, so you'd obviously want to do those last. The other places you're gonna have to decide on girl friend! I gtg to choir soon, and Google isn't helping me with their lame maps in Arabic :P (I may have written that Rosetta Stone, but I don't know what it says, lol!!!)

Ms. Hicks said...

That is a lot of math Lizzy.

I picked up a camera!!!! It is a Nikon Coolpix 10 megapixel 15x zoom that was at target for almost $300. However, they had it on clearance and then I picked up the last one for...$133. This makes me very happy! Now I just need like a 4GB SD card and I'll be good to go! Oh, and about a million batteries!

Unknown said...

LOL!!!! Oh, and I was wrong on that math (I was really tired) so you'd actually get 42 hours in each place : ). What can I say??? I love math!!! Congrats on the camera.... I will definitely advise taking out the batteries whenever you're not using it (in the hotel room, or at an un-scenic place, etc.) The camera I was using was a huge battery drainer!! It was soooooooo annoying!!! After about 5 hours the batteries would go dead on me... no joke!!! And we're talking brand-new batteries.

Ms. Hicks said...

Great suggestion Lizzy!! Thanks!

jemjem77 said...

im pretty sure it won't help tp take out the batterys but keeping the camera off unless your going to take a picture might.

It has always been my dream to travel to Egypt. I have had a fascination with Ancient Egypt since I was a little girl. This fascination is the reason I am now a teacher. Thanks to the Lilly Endowment Grant for Teacher Creativity, my dream is about to come true. Let the adventure begin!

And don't forget to sign my guest book while you're here!